Tue, 29 May|
Duty Senior Nurse - Simulation Training (DSN)
This three-day course first of which is theory based with the other two days simulation based. This course is aimed at band 6+ nurses who act as the duty senior nurse (DSN).
Time & Location
29 May 2018, 08:30 – 31 May 2018, 16:30
SW9 9NT, Landor Rd, London SW9 9NT, UK
About The Event
This two-day course first of which is theory based with the other two days simulation based. This course is aimed at band 6+ nurses who act as the duty senior nurse (DSN). Where approved by their line manager, it is also suitable for band 5 nurses as part of their professional development plan.
It is suitable for professionals requiring clarification and advice about the role of the DSN, and Trust support structures and resources. It will explore the management and leadership qualities that are required by anyone acting in such roles.
Participants will be involved in a series of simulated scenarios using actors and a high-fidelity medical mannequin. Debriefing models are employed to assist participants to learn positively and constructively from the experience.
After completing this course those attending will be able to:
- be able to describe the roles and responsibilities of the duty senior nurse.
- better understand the role of human factors or non-technical skills, e.g. situational awareness, leadership, team working, in psychiatric and medical emergencies.
- demonstrate increased confidence in managing common clinical incidents as the duty senior nurse
- demonstrate improved inter-agency working.
- be able to recognise when extra help is required and allocate tasks accordingly.
- be able to use a systematic approach to assess and treat the physically unwell patient.